Tips for Healthy Eating & Weight Gain (Males):
- Eat a meal or a snack every 2-3 hours to keep your blood sugar level, energy and mood stable.
- Protein is required at breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- One serving of protein ranges between 30-45 grams.
- For example, 1 piece of chicken is equivalent to 20 grams of protein.
- Consume plenty of salads and vegetables.
- Avoid refined carbohydrates (white bread, white rice and white pasta).
- These foods do not contain any nutrient value or fiber and they easily store as fat.
- Choose complex carbohydrates (sweet potato and brown rice).
- These foods are rich in nutrients and fiber and provide long lasting energy.
- Include a complex carbohydrate at every meal and may also be included in snacks.
- One serving of carbohydrates ranges between 40-60 grams.
- For example, 1 cup cooked brown rice is equivalent to 40 grams of carbohydrates.
- Drink 8-10 cups of water per day.
- Avoid with meals.
- Drink bottled or filtered water.
- The following chart outlines breakfast options.
- Each breakfast MUST include one carbohydrate and one protein, or if hungry, you can have one carbohydrate and two proteins.
- You can choose from the breakfast options below or
mix and match the carbohydrates and proteins.
- Portion for males: 40-60 grams of carbohydrates, 30-45 grams of protein per serving.
|Carbohydrate:||oats or quinoa flakes(add berries and cinnamon to sweeten)||whole grain or rye bread||whole grain cereal with rice milk|
|Protein:||whey protein powder:-add to oats or quinoa flakes-protein shake smoothie with rice milk||egg plus egg whites
|plain yogurt or cottage cheese|
|Additional Notes:||-add cheese to eggs for extra calories||-add nuts to cereal and/or yogurt/cottage cheese for extra calories||-add nut butter to bread and/or shakes for extra calories|
- Include one of the following snacks in between meals.
- Depending on your schedule, you will need 2-3 snacks per day.
- When travelling, pack meal replacement bars and trail mix.
|fruit with trail mix||Nuts/dried fruit:almonds, brazil,pecans, cashews,walnuts, raisins||1-2 handful(s)||-no salt or oil added|
|nut butter sandwich||Nut butter:almond, cashew, sunflower, pumpkin,hazelnut, natural peanut butter||minimum 2 tablespoons|
|mini meal(protein & carbohydrate)||chicken, brown rice and vegetables|
|meal replacement bar||protein and carbohydrates|
|protein shake or weight gainer shake||whey Protein||mix with rice milk, optional to add nut butter/nuts|
|yogurt or cottage cheese||plain||approx 1 cup||optional to add fruit and/or nuts|
Lunch & Dinner Options:
- Include a salad and/or vegetables with lunch and dinner
- Include a serving of protein at lunch and dinner
- Include a carbohydrate at lunch and dinner
Lunch & Dinner Options
Salad & Vegetables
|-chicken breast-turkey breast
-lean ground chicken
-lean ground turkey
-lean ground beef
-egg plus egg whites
|-brown rice-wild rice
-whole grain pasta
-whole grain wrap
-whole grain or rye bread
|-1-2 tbsp(s) olive oil(salad dressing and for cooking)-2-4 tablespoons of cheese
|Serving Size (cooked if applicable)||Unlimited portion||Male: 6-8 ounces cooked||Male: minimum 1 cup cooked|